Sign in to follow this  
buoy

DIY Chest Freezer for Off-Peak make-shift air-con

Hey... sorry had some work deadlines. Thought this thread died.

Well I used a bilge pump from an aquarium shop. I still have it setup - esky, radiator and hoses. The past few weeks have been quite cold and rainy so I wasn't even inclined to look at that stuff - it just sat quietly in the corner of the room. When it gets hot again I'll take it out and do more work on it. It's good for knocking off a good few hours of air-con use during peak the way it is now.

Noice, it didn't have any issues with the extra cold?

and did you get any condensation on the tubing or just on the radiator?

That and some tubing are the last bits I need to put together, just going to re purpose an ol trans cooler that never got used, it's a bit big but that just makes it manlier.

yes I got condensation on the tubing :( and thermal wrap just buys you time... until you get condensation over that.

It was for that reason that I thought a top-mounted radiator over the esky would solve all those problems. The water would just accumulate inside the top compartment of the esky and fall down to where the ice cold water is. Eventually you'll have an excess of water but by that time you would have exhausted the cooling capacity of the thing anyway.

I thought condensation might be a bit of a struggle, I think I'll hit up clark rubber for some rubber/foam scraps and many layers of duct tape.

Would you mean make a small drain hole inthe top of the esky or leave the lid off? I'm using an ice box which is pretty much a big square, now that you mention it I could just indent the lid a bit and make the smallest possible hole in that for drainage. Although then I'd be letting cold escape/heat in? WHATEVER THERMODYNAMICS.

I was planning on just leaving a towel wrapped around it and a plastic sheet under it but I may go overboard.

I think that any cooling that escapes is fine because we want it to do that anyway. Give it a go!