Sign in to follow this  
buoy

A Moon Base Can Be Used For...

No I haven't - I just did a google search and I read some crackpot talking about how he believes the moon was engineered. Is that it?

yeah... looks like it. Complete fruity loop. As I was reading I was refuting each of his outlandish statements as I read them. Then I stopped because I had already refuted such a large number as to be pointless to continue refuting claims, but I read on a little more just out of pure blind curiosity.

I can understand, if one does not have the internet and is child-like in their understanding of things YET good at certain other things like perhaps pure math and basic scientific observation theory that one could conceivably literally *think* themselves into this messy hole he's dug for himself. Unfortunate.

I shall, just for the sake of it, refute some of the things he says just to give you an illustration of how far off he is.

The Moon is as old as the Earth and it has definitely been orbiting the Earth almost right from the start, so it can't be a captured asteroid but although it's made of the same 'stuff' as the Earth, it only contains carefully selected bits of that stuff.

Ok. Here's a good example of how "some" information can be worse than "no" information. He has probably read of the geological make-up of the moon - by "carefully selected bits" he means only the lighter elements. "Definitely been orbiting the earth almost right from the start" I'm not sure where he gets that from... perhaps pure lunacy, but anyway.

Here is the bit he is missing: An asteroid HIT the earth a long time ago. Actually when we say the word "asteroid" we tend to thing of large wierd-shaped rocks floating in space. Well, firstly I'm talking about a celestial body thousands of kilometers across, so I'm not talking about something as small as, say, the one that killed the dinosaurs. I'm talking about one that is, ohh gosh, something that deforms the entire surface of the planet and rips off a massive chunk of it and exposes the mantle and core and for the next million years you can't tell that it's even a planet anymore. Yeah - THAT kind of impact. Imagine if the moon were to hit the earth now........ yeah....... that kind of "big".

So what happened was, very very early on, definitely after the earth had achieved hydrostatic equilibrium (heavier stuff at the bottom, lighter stuff at the top) this "hit" smashed in to the earth. It lifted up a lot of the lighter elements which were flung off into outerspace or into orbit. The heavier elements, however, were pulled back by their own gravity of the earth's remnants and re-formed the planet and, through the forces of hydrostatic equilibrium again turning it into a sphere over millions of years it's back to being round - BUT the ejecta, the lighter elements perhaps formed a ring around the earth for a while and/or eventually (as we now see) coalesqued into another celestial body, the moon. From orbital calculations, the moon used to be very close to the earth and over billions of years has slowly spun its way outward to where it is now.

THAT is why the moon is made up of lighter elements. This guy just doesn't get it. He's a crackpot. The first paragraph of his website says so too. :)

The impactor was calculated to be something similar to the size of Mars.

It is also believed to be why our earth has a tilted axis as opposed to a perfectly straight orientation in relation to the sun like most other planets.

The moon IS made of cheese. Don't let these numpties tell you otherwise :P

Thought I'd resurrect this thread since the Chinese lander 3 and rover put tracks on the lunar surface this month and it appears that China's new stance is to put a base on the moon by the end of the decade. A permanent base.

Now the EU and the US are rethinking their plans to go back to the moon as I'm not sure they would be very happy giving China "full reign" over lunar resources.

The moon has a land area equal approximately to the land area of all of Africa and Australia. It is geologically stable. Moon rock is comprised of 43% oxygen, held in a stable form as various types of oxides (Magnesium oxide etc) which could be converted into oxygen via sublimation (heat it with a fresnel lens - magnifying glass) or electrolosys. It leaves behind a glass-like residue that can be used as a building material.

• Upvote 1

Whatever happens up on the moon, it would mean a golden age in robotics and AI would need to happen to make most of this happen.

Edited by HumanHefner

You might be right. It would be exceedingly expensive to send work crews up there to manually construct base after base. I'd say perhaps the first one will be done the old fashioned way with manual labour. But, once they have established a very small human base, those humans would be there not as direct workers but technicians to fix the machines that perform the construction. That way you could have a myriad of machinery and a small skeleton crew fixing issues as they arise.

Personally if they ever construct a kilometer wide dome and fill it with a decent amount of air, I'd like to go rallying with a go-cart. Can you imagine the air on the bumps you'd get with that much gravity?

The illuminati would never allow this.

Screw the Illuminati, the Nazi's would not appreciate people living so close to their moon base.

Didn't Sentinel Prime or Deej crash land on the moon or something?

All I'm sayin is I have a bad feeling about going there...

Any hot moon bitches though and I'm down.

apparently the nazis went to antarctica and built a base there, google operation highjump, cool story if nothing else.

The illuminati would never allow this.

Screw the Illuminati, the Nazi's would not appreciate people living so close to their moon base.

The Nazi's are nothing compared to [insert dead celebrity here] that are also living up there.