Sign in to follow this  
chef_32

Need a bit of advice about post operation

Hi

I'm 25yo, 91kg, 180ish cm tall. Lost about 30kgs over the last few years. but i still got a few more kg's (4-5 would be nice) of fat that i want to get rid of.

I've been weight training quite a bit lately. usual stuff: deads, squats, cleans, press variations, row variations, pullups, etc. I'm pretty happy with my progress in that department with regard to strength gain. But I don't do much cardio at all apart from playing indoor soccer, and a bit of bball with mates.

My diet is mostly clean with the occassional, controlled, light binge. Otherwise heaps of veggies, lean meats, some fruit, yoghurt, nuts, not much carb apart from morning oats, and i take protein powder.

Heres the problem: I have an Epigastric Hernia, its a tear near the middle of my top 4 abs. It doesn't hurt, but I've got my operation for it today. It was caused from lifting, and probably from being obese before because the doc said i have a slightly larger gap between my abs.. presumably from stretch resulting in the weaker tissue in the area.

Doc says I can't do any exercise for 8 weeks after the op. Week one i'm not too fussed because i've been lifting almost everyday for the last month cos i knew i'd be losing muscle so i'll let the body do its thing, after this i'm planning on doing alot of walking incl. 10km walk home from work a few times a week at least then look at increasing to jogging a bit as i start to heal up more. I'll be assessing my ability to lift light weights around the week 6 mark but nothing silly you know, just cosmetic work.

Basically i need ideas on how to minimise muscle loss in the next 8 weeks, whilst making progress in the fat loss department, without doing weights.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Basically i need ideas on how to minimise muscle loss in the next 8 weeks, whilst making progress in the fat loss department, without doing weights.

Lifting doesn't build muscle, it breaks it down. Eating builds muscle. Eating shit builds fat. So use the time away from the weights as an excuse to rest up good while working on sticking to a disciplined diet :thumbsup:

Here is a good read: http://www.ptcfrankston.com/doc/newsletter/PTC_Newsletter_IssueNo37.html

Good work on the weight loss so far!