Sign in to follow this  
200sxs14asr20det

HELP! S15 6speed manual wont go into any gear when car is cold

I have a stock 2001 200sx s15 6 speed manual, only mod is a hd clutch.

-When the car is cold I cant seem to put the car into any gear when the car is running after a cold start up,

-Only way I can get into a gear on cold start up is with the engine of I put it into 1st gear or reverse gear.

-Once the car is warm the car goes into all gears with no issues or no crunching.

-The only thing I can hear wrong is the input shaft bearing whine on idle, when you engage the clutch the whine stops = gearbox input shaft bearing

Does anyone know what can cause this issue where the car wont go into gear when cold?

any help would be much appreciated

Edited by 200sxs14asr20det

Input shafts bearings will make noise, not an issue.

If cold shifts are hard, change gearbox oil to OEM specification, GL-4.

If it's just a coincidence that it's 'when cold', it might be an issue with the clutch master or slave cylinders passing and you just build up enough pressure to shift after flogging your clutch pedal.

When was the last time you checked/ replaced the clutch fluid..you could do with a bleed possibly as well

Ive had the same problem before

Check to make sure the clutch pivot ball isnt broken

You can see it thru the clutch fork boot outside the box

If it is

Its a gearbox off job to fix and might aswell replace the clutch if its worn if still good just leave it

Your clutch system most likely has air in it. Jack the car up and check for leaks at the master and slave cylinders. The stock clutch hard lines can be a pain in the ass to bleed due to the damping section holding air, easiest way is to replace the hard lines altogether and install a braided line from master to slave which gives a more direct feeling clutch anyway.