Sign in to follow this  
GFUNK

Court hearing has been lost? + license swap Q

Hey guys

(QLD)

about this time last year I got a pretty big speeding fine and elected to have a court hearing about it

I still haven't had my summons yet and can't even tell them i'll pay the fine and points until I do get the hearing, its impending doom

do you think its been lost? I did call them about it and each person i called told me to call someone else but vaguely remember them saying yes it is in the system.. I had a friend who got a fine not a month before me who had his court date sorted about 6 months ago..

Also Im currently in another commonwealth country, I'm wondering if I should drive around on my QLD license or swap it for the country license.. theres two questions in my head if my QLD one is suspended and I'm driving here will they know? and if I'm using the new license in QLD will they know my QLD one is suspended?

Please be a little careful what is discussed here..

P.S. as you can already assume the fine was for total bs :)

-gfunk

Not sure if QLD is much different then SA but I had a mate who had cops rock up on his door with a warrant for his arrest for not arriving to court for a driving offence he committed 12-24 months earlier. My mate wasn't aware his offence required him to go to court as he never received a summons and had already paid all the fines. He saw legal advise and was told that a summons had to be issued within 12 or 24 months (cant remember) or you walk free. In regards to your summons I'd just sit back and wait for it to arrive in the mail or even better never arrive. Worse case scenario you'll have cops at your door step with a warrant for your arrest.

In regards to your suspended license (again unsure if QLD is different then SA) your license should still be valid until after your hearing. A mate of mine has lost his license 4 times now and I've seen him have to go through the process.

That's my knowledge of the system, maybe someone from QLD can verify how it works in QLD. Might be worth making a anonymous phone call to the motor department enquiring on how a suspended license circumstance works.

Thanks dude that was quite informational, 12-24 months is ages guess I'll wait another year..

What i was wondering is if police here pull me over here lets say Canada and I give them my QLD license which would be suspended if the court thing went through, can they access the Australian database and check if its valid?

Not sure they have access to check that information.

Wouldn't worry about it. I've been in the situation of waiting for a vicroads license Suspension letter, stressing about it as i didn't want my gf to find out about it and have yet another reason to bitch about my car habits. Never came, even though i got the actual fine and clearly didn't have enough points left due to a defect the week before.

That was about 4 years ago and I've been pulled over a dozen times since then for 'random' / import driver breath test and it hasn't been mentioned.

I'm pretty sure you can't just drive in another country and show them your licence. U needed to get an international licence from racq. My dad got locked up 10yrs after he had been issued fines. Got pulled over many times for rbt ect n never got mentioned. If u don't have a licence you don't drive/ travel insurance ect won't cover if I have an accident nor will the cover the person u injur. If anyone wants to find the info it's the insurance companies. Don't waste your time contesting fines. Just cop it like a man